I was reflecting on how I’m out of the box in many ways. Here’s my list:
- I believe it’s possible to create an expert system to guide consultants in engaging with a client (in fact, this is what the Disciplined Agile Value stream Consultant Workshop teaches)
- I believe there is cause and effect in complex systems. It’s just buried underneath some of the complexity. You can work on this to make things more visible. Ignoring this wastes a lot of work.
- People learn best by doing real work. PPT and exercises are not the same. The exercises only break up the tedium.
- To learn how to coach/consult participants must do real coaching & consulting in the workshop. Not a simulation in an exercise.
- Consulting engagements are great but they typically don’t leave useful documentation to continue the improvement.
- This documentation should also include how you got to the decisions you made
- Whether starting an engagement with training or consulting how you start must be able to be used to how you do continuous improvement later
- The core you start with must be capable of filling in the gaps while still being small.